|The improvement and use of high quality and productive cultivars are priority goals in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) farming and research in the country. This study was conducted using 32 alfalfa genotypes in a RCB design with three replications during 2012 and 2013 at Seed and Plant Research Institute (SPII), Karaj, Iran. In the first year of the experiment, two cuts and in the second year, four cuts (six cuts in total) were taken and recorded. The studied traits included fresh and dry forage yield, plant height at harvest time and stem number per square meter. The ANOVA results based on the split plot design in time showed a significant difference among cuts, genotypes, and genotype by cutting interaction. Mean comparisons of the cuts revealed that the second cut had the highest fresh and dry forage yield in both years. The genotypes of D203, D210, D207, D206 with average values of 3.34, 3.34, 3.33, and 3.31 (t ha-1 per cut), and Ranger with 2.21(t ha-1 per cut) had the highest and lowest means of forage dry yield, respectively. D207, D206, D203, D210 and LakLak genotypes had the lowest superiority index and D206, Galebani, D205, D207, Laklak, and D201 genotypes had the lowest Shukla’s stability variance, respectively. According to the obtained results of dry forage yield and the stability indices, the genotypes D206, D207 and LakLak were selected as the most stable and productive genotypes.|
- Bernousi, I., and Hasanzade Ghorttappe, A. 2018. Diallel analyses for dry forage yield among some alfalfa cultivars. Iranian Journal of Rangelands and Forests Plant Breeding and Genetic Research, 26(1), pp. 302-310, DOI: 22092/ijrfpbgr.2018.120265.1286 (In Persian)
- Lin, C.S., and Binns, M. R. 1988. A superiority measure of cultivar performance for cultivar x location data. Can. J. Plant Sci. 68: 193–198.
- Majidi, M. A. Masal selection in Iranian alfalfa populations. Final report of research project. Seed and Plant Improvement Institute (SPII), AREEO, Karaj, Iran. (In Persian)
- Mc Caslin, M. 1996. Trends in alfalfa breeding and improvement. In G. Lcaefield and C. Forsythe (eds.). Forage Variety testing symposium, Current status and Implications for the Futuer. Indiana. USA.
- Memarzadeh, A. 1988. Forage yield evaluation of ten foreign and Iranian alfalfa varieties under irrigated condition. Final report of research project. East Azarbaijan Agricultural and Natural Resource Research and Education Centre, AREEO, Tabriz, Iran. (In Persian)
- Mofidian, S. M. A. and Rahjoo, V. 2014. Mass selection in Ghara-yunjeh Ecotype (Galehbani) for the purpose of improving the purity of population. Final report of research project. Register No., 46223, 93/09/03. 28 p. Seed and Plant Improvement Institute (SPII), AREEO, Karaj, Iran. (In Persian)
- Moghaddam, A. 2003. Mass selection in Mohajeran ecotype of Hamedani alfalfa. Final report of research project. Register No. Seed and Plant Improvement Institute (SPII), AREEO, Karaj, Iran.(In Persian)
- Moghaddam, A., Mofidian, S. M. A. and Abbassi, M. R. 2020. Estimation of biological nitrogen fixation rate of Iranian alfalfa ecotypes. Final report of research project. Seed and Plant Improvement Institute (SPII), AREEO, Karaj, Iran. (In Persian)
- Moghaddam, A., Asaadi, M., Tabatabaee, S. A. Shoshi Dezfuli, A., and Mofidian, S. M. A. 2021. Determination of Value for Cultivation and Use (VCU) and forage yield evaluation of five foreign alfalfa cultivars (Medicago sativa). Final report of research project. Seed and Plant Improvement Institute (SPII), AREEO, Karaj, Iran. (In Persian)
- Monirifar, H. and Abdollahi, N. 2014. Introducing some Iranian Ecotypes of Alfalfa. Journal of Plant Physiology and Breeding, 4(1): 35-45.(In Persian)
- Monirifar, H., Moghaddam, A., Ahmadi-Adl, R. and Moradian, P. 2020. Identification suitable genotypes of Ghara- Yonjeh alfalfa for water deficit. Project Final Report. Register No., 57575, 99/03/03. 56 pp. East Azarbaijan Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Centre, AREEO, Tabriz, Iran. (In Persian)
- Noormand Moayyed, F., Jafari, A. A. and Razban Haghighi, A. 2016. Evaluation of drought tolerance in alfalfa (Medicago sativa) accessions under normal and dryland farming system. Iranian Journal of Rangelands and Forests Plant Breeding and Genetic Research, 24(2), 314-322, DOI: 10.22092/ijrfpbgr.2016.109420. (In Persian)
- Notghi taheri, H. 1996. Forage yield trail of Alfalfa veraities. Final report of research project. Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Centre, AREEO, Shahrekord, Iran(In Persian).
- Orloff, S., and Putnam, D. 2006. Cutting schedule strategies to maximize returns. In: Proceedings, 2006 Western Alfalfa & Forage Conference, December 11-13, Reno, Nevada, USA.
- Rotili, P., Gnocchi, G., Scotti, C., and Zannone, L. 1999. Some aspects of breeding methodology in alfalfa. In proc. of the Alfalfa Genome Conference, Madison, WI, USA
- Rumbaugh, M. D., Caddel, J. L., and Rowe, D. E. 1988. Breeding and quantitative genetics. P. 777-08. In: A. A. Hanson, D. K. Barnes and R. R. Hill, Jr. (eds). Alfalfa and Alfalfa Improvement. Madison. Wisconsin. USA.
- Souri, J. 2010. Study and comparison of quality and quantity traits of selected ecotype from Hamadan alfalfa with other Hamadan alfalfa ecotypes. Project Final Report. Register No., 89/903, 89/08/08. 49 pp. Hamedan Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Centre, AREEO, Hamedan, Iran. (In Persian)
- Staszewski, Z. and Bodzon, Z. 2002. Comparison of North American alfalfa varieties productivity in Poland. Abstracts for the 38th North American Alfalfa Improvement Conference, July 37-31, 2002, Sacramento, Ca, USA.
- Talebnezhad, A. Z. 1998. Quantitative and qualitative yield evaluation of foreign and local alfalfa varieties. Final report of research project. Markazi Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Centre, AREEO, Iran. (In Persian)
- Takeda, Y., Uchiyama, K., Nakashima, K., and Yamaguchi, H. 1998. Individual variation in lepto-leaf spot resistance and effects of phenotypic recurrent selection on its resistance in alfalfa (Medicago sativa) Cultivars. Grassland Sci. 44 (1) 73-79.
- Turan, N., Celen, A. E., and Ozyazici, M. A. 2017. Yield and quality characteristics of some alfalfa (Medicago sativa ) varieties grown in the eastern Turkey. Turkish Journal of field crops, 22(2), 160-165. DOI: 10.17557/tjfc.356236
- Zamanian, M. 2003. Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of alfalfa cultivars forage yield in different cuts. Journal of Agricultural Science and Natural Resources. 10(1), 73-82.(In Persian)