|The present study was conducted at the Poultry Research Center, Faculty of Agriculture; Sebha University, Libya. The feeding trial lasted 42 days in total. A local hatchery provided 240 unsexed one-day-old broiler chicks (Ross 308). The birds were randomly distributed into four groups, and each group was then divided into four replicates, with 15 birds in each group. The objective of the current study was to examine the impact of ginger powder as a natural feed supplement on broiler chickens' growth performance, hematological parameters, and serum lipids. Four dietary treatments were formulated and supplemented with ginger powder at levels 0%, 0.2%, 0.4% and 0.6%. The findings exhibited substantial differences in body weight and weight gain across the experimental groups. Birds fed ginger-enriched diets had higher feed conversion and lower feed intake than control birds (P<0.05). Birds fed a 0.6% ginger powder diet compared to the control group had considerably superior productive performance (P<0.05), while feed consumption was lowered. Dietary ginger powder supplementation improved hematological parameters; white blood cells, lymphocytes, heterophils, and the lymphocyte to heterophil ratio were improved with dietary ginger powder supplementation (P<0.05). Additionally, as compared to the control group, ginger powder groups significantly (P<0.05) lowered serum triglycerides, total cholesterol, and very low-density lipoprotein. While supplementation of dietary ginger powder significantly increased (P<0.05), the levels of high-density lipoprotein against the control group. In conclusion, ginger supplementation had a positive effect on the performance of chickens when supplemented on broiler ration and can be considered an alternative growth promoter in feeding broiler ration.|
- Alshelmani MI, Kaka U, Abdalla EA, Humam AM, Zamani HU. Effect of feeding fermented and non-fermented palm kernel cake on the performance of broiler chickens: a review. Worlds Poult Sci J. 2021;77(2):377-88.
- Irivboje O, Olufayo O, Irivboje Y. Phytogenic compounds: A review of ginger and garlic as an alternative feed additive in poultry nutrition. Proceedings of 25th Annual Conference of ASAN 2020. Abuja, Nigeria. 2020.
- Rehman S, Durrani F, Chand N, Khan R, ur Rehman F. Comparative efficacy of different schedules of administration of medicinal plants infusion on hematology and serum biochemistry of broiler chicks. Res Opin Anim Vet Sci. 2011;1:8-14.
- Mohamed RI, Mosaad GMM, Abd El-wahab HY. Effect of Feeding Propolis on Growth Performance of Broilers. J Adv Vet Res. 2018;8(3):66-72.
- Karangiya VK, Savsani HH, Patil SS, Garg DD, Murthy KS, Ribadiya NK, et al. Effect of dietary supplementation of garlic, ginger and their combination on feed intake, growth performance and economics in commercial broilers. Vet World. 2016;9(3):245-50.
- Mohammadi R. Effects of different levels of dietary garlic powder on productive performance, egg quality traits and blood parameters of laying hens. Anim Prod. 2017;19(3):657-70.
- Dieumou F, Teguia A, Kuiate J-R, Tamokou JDD, Nb F, Mc D. Effects of Ginger (Zingiber officinale) and Garlic (Allium sativum) Essential Oils on Growth Performance and Gut Population of Broiler Chickens. Livest Res Rural Dev. 2009;21.
- Morakinyo A, Akindele A, Ahmed Z. Modulation of antioxidant enzymes and inflammatory cytokines: possible mechanism of anti-diabetic effect of ginger extracts. African J Biomed Res. 2011;14(3):195-202.
- Zhang GF, Yang ZB, Wang Y, Yang WR, Jiang SZ, Gai Effects of ginger root (Zingiber officinale) processed to different particle sizes on growth performance, antioxidant status, and serum metabolites of broiler chickens. Poult Sci. 2009;88(10):2159-66.
- NRC. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 9th ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1994.
- Abdulla NR, Loh TC, Foo HL, Alshelmani MI, Akit H. Influence of Dietary Ratios of n-6: n-3 Fatty Acid on Gene Expression, Fatty Acid Profile in Liver and Breast Muscle Tissues, Serum Lipid Profile, and Immunoglobulin in Broiler Chickens1. J Appl Poult Res. 2019;28(2):454-69.
- Alshelmani MI, Loh TC, Foo HL, Sazili AQ, Lau WH. Effect of feeding different levels of palm kernel cake fermented by Paenibacillus polymyxa ATCC 842 on broiler growth performance, blood biochemistry, carcass characteristics, and meat quality. Anim Prod Sci. 2017;57(5):839-48.
- SAS. Statistical analytical system. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc; 2003.
- Owen O, Amakiri A. Serological and haematological profile of broiler finishers fed graded levels of bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina) meal. J Rapid Meth Aut Mic. 2011;1:77-81.
- Ademola S, Farinu G, Babatunde G. Serum Lipid, Growth and Haematological Parameters of Broilers Fed Garlic, Ginger and Their Mixtures. World J Agric Sci. 2009;5.
- Herawati H. The Effect of Feeding Red Ginger as Phytobiotic on Body Weight Gain, Feed Conversion and Internal Organs Condition of Broiler. Int J Poult Sci. 2010;9.
- Al-Homidan I. Efficacy of using different sources and levels of Allium cepa‚ Allium sativa and Zingiber officinale on broiler chicks performance. Saudi J Biol Sci. 2005;12:96-102.
- Valiollahi M, Rahimian Y, Rafiee A, Miri Y. Effect use ginger (Zingiber officinale), black pepper (Piper nigrum L) powders on performance, some blood parameters and antibody titer against new castle vaccine on broiler chicks. Europ J Zool Res. 2014;3(3):61-6.
- Mohamed A, Alrubaee MAM, Jalil A. Effect of Ginger (Zingiber officinale) on Performance and Blood Serum Parameters of Broiler. Int J Poult Sci. 2012;11.
- Sadeghi AA, Moghaddam M. The effects of turmeric, cinnamon, ginger and garlic powder nutrition on antioxidant enzymes' status and hormones involved in energy metabolism of broilers during heat stress. Iran J Appl Anim Sci. 2018;8:25-130.
- Al-Kassie G. Influence of two plant extracts derived from thyme and cinnamon on broiler performance. Pak Vet J. 2009;29.
- Shewita RS, Taha AE. Influence of dietary supplementation of ginger powder at different levels on growth performance, haematological profiles, slaughter traits and gut morphometry of broiler chickens. S Afr J Anim Sci. 2019.
- Barazesh H, Boujar Pour M, Salari S, Mohammad Abadi T. The Effect of Ginger Powder on Performance, Carcass Characteristics and Blood Parameters of Broilers. Int J Adv Biol Biomed Res. 2013;1(12):1645-51.